Applicants can only apply for one of the following award categories:
- Academic – In this highly competitive category, applicants compete on the basis of academic performance and progress toward stated goals. These are evidenced in transcripts, extracurricular activities, and a clearly articulated message of educational plans.
- Community – Community Scholars exhibit initiative, accomplishments, and leadership in their extracurricular activities and/or community service. These students also demonstrate a solid academic performance and have a strong G.P.A. Community applicants are able to balance their dedication to their community and extracurricular activities with their academic studies.
- Career Training – The Career Training scholarship is for those attending a vocational school or an associate’s degree program that will result in a degree leading directly to a career path. Students compete on the totality of their academic records, their extracurricular and work experience, and demonstrated commitment to their goals. Examples could include X-ray technician, cosmetologist, computer-aided drafting technology, etc.
- Must be sponsored by themselves or an eligible family member (spouse, parent, stepparent, grandparent, or step-grandparent). Eligible sponsor must be current member who has an active GEBA or GEMBA plan that has been in effect for at least three years (December 31, 2018 or earlier).
- Must be a full-time student who attends, or will attend an accredited educational institution offering credit towards recognized post-secondary degrees and credentials.1
- Can be a previous GEBA Scholarship recipient. Winners can reapply each year for a maximum of 4 GEBA Scholarship awards from any category.
- Can only apply for one scholarship from the GEBA Scholarship Foundation per year.
To ensure complete impartiality in selection of recipients and to maintain a high level of professionalism, the program is administered by International Scholarship and Tuition Services (ISTS), a firm that specializes in managing sponsored scholarship programs. Learn more about ISTS at www.applyists.com
1 Working GEBA members who are part-time students or have student loan debt in their own name stemming from their own education may be eligible for GEBA’s Member Educational Award Program
Application Deadline – March 31, 2022
All applicants for the 2022-2023 Academic Year will be notified by mid-May. Good luck to the applicants!
GEBA awarded $100,000 in merit-based scholarships to 40 students and $27,500 to 11 MEAP winners for the 2021-22 school year! Congratulations to all of the winners!
Choose GEBA – Securing Feds’ Financial Future Since 1957
GEBA is a nonprofit employee benefit association created by NSA employees in 1957. Our goal is to offer high quality insurance products at great prices that has our members’ best interests in mind. GEBA has been serving federal employees for over 60 years, and you can count on us to be there for you and your family.
GEBA membership is available to ALL civilian federal employees and retirees, including the military. Membership in GEBA is free and continues as long as you maintain a plan with GEBA.